Welcome to the Online Business Service Center!
To Renew online, click here! Online Renewal
Thank you for visiting our online office today. We're glad you're here. We hope you find this information helpful and hope you find the information you are looking for. If not, please let us know so we can add this information.
It is the Business Service Center's mission to serve Richland County's diverse business community with outstanding customer service while
- collecting business-related revenues fairly, equitably, and conveniently;
- issuing business-related licenses and permits accurately and promptly;
- enforcing the County's business requirements equitably, effectively, and efficiently; and
- educating the business community regarding those requirements proactively and collaboratively.
Thank you for doing business in Richland County; we appreciate your business. Your business helps make the Richland County community a great place to live, work, and visit.
Richland County business licenses expired on December 31!
All Richland County business licenses expired on December 31. Renewal applications for the next year's license may begin on January 1 (online). (Business licenses require that revenues from all of the previous year be reported. (Please be advised that County offices are closed on New Year's.)
Renew your business license online!
1. Click here today to SAVE MONEY and AVOID PENALTIES! Complete our new Checklist for Business License Renewals to avoid having your renewal application and payment returned or delayed.
2. Use the Online Renewal to renew online OR to calculate your fees online.
3. Click here for Instructions on completing the Business License Renewal Application.
Richland County Business Handbook
The Business Service Center has updated the Richland County Business Handbook for 2014. This easy-to-read Business Handbook describes the County’s various requirements to do business in Richland County. The County strongly urges all businesses - and their accountants - to be familiar with these requirements to help ensure they are operating lawfully.
Currently Licensed Businesses*
* Please remember that all business licenses expire on Dec. 31. The deadline to renew is March 15. This list of licensed businesses is not updated until after the backlog of license applications have been completed, usually around April 15. The list is then updated periodically through the year.
Previous year's licensed businesses (as of Dec. 15, 2014)
Previous year's licensed construction contractors (as of Dec. 15, 2014)
Current year's licensed businesses (to be updated around mid- to late April)
Current year's licensed construction contractors (to be updated around mid- to late April)
Looking for a Licensed Contractor?
Whenever you are having work done on your home, it is always a good idea to make sure that any contractor you use is properly licensed by the State and by the County. There are several place to look for licensed contractors.
- The State Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation is the State agency that licenses contractors. Their website is https://verify.llronline.com/liclookup/LookupMain.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1. If you are looking for a residential contractor, you may select either "Contractors - Commercial" or "Residential Builders" from the drop-down list, and enter the company's name or the owner's name.
- To see if the company has a current Richland County business license, please scroll down to the link below for Currently Licensed Businesses.
- Another good place to check out a company is the Better Business Bureau, which has an Accredited Business Directory online at http://www.bbb.org/columbia/accredited-business-directory.
- Yet another good place to look for a company is the Greater Columbia Chamber of Commerce, which has a searchable Business Directory online at http://members.columbiachamber.com/sbaweb/members/advancedsearch.asp.
Confused about Sales Tax Rates?
Knowing how much sales taxes to charge can be tricky. There are different kinds of taxes, charged in different situations, and different rates in different jurisdictions. Please see the Sales & Use Tax Chart showing the sales tax rates for different types of purchases in Richland County. If you have specific questions about the State sales tax or the State Accommodations Tax, please call the State Department of Revenue Sales Tax Division at 803-896-1420. If you have questions about the Local Option Sales Tax, the local Transportation Tax, the local Hospitality Tax, or the Local Accommodations Tax, please contact the Business Service Center at email@example.com or at 803-576-2287.
1st floor of the County Administration Building
2020 Hampton Street, Suite 1050 (just inside the back door)
corner of Hampton and Harden Streets
- free parking is available in the lot behind the building
P.O. Box 192, Columbia, SC 29202
Phone number: (803) 576-2287
Fax number: (803) 576-2289
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM